Following the general meeting of the Meadowview and Coombe Road communities we have summarised the bus service requirements that would provide a minimum level of acceptable service to the area. We have included suggestions to aid strategic thinking and implementation planning where appropriate.
- The bus service should run from 7:00am until 11.30 pm every day including weekends.
- The bus service should run at least every 20 minutes during the day and 30 mins in the evenings at regular intervals.
- The route of the bus service must follow a common sense route - that is a route passengers want to take. This means at a minimum a short journey shuttle service connecting our area with all other Lewes Road bus services, or a longer service - Lewes road to the Old Stein and to Churchill Square returning the same route. (It should not be tacked on to other indirect routes to unrelated parts of the city).
- The live bus display and mobile app system must include this service as soon as possible.
These demands are being addressed to our local councillors:
Mo Marsh Labour Party : May 2015 Election result - Votes 3210 (16% )
Anne Meadows : Labour Party : May 2015 Election result Votes 2966 (15%)
Dan Yates : Labour Party: May 2015 Election result Votes 2326: (12% )
They are also being copied to interested parties such as the local area groups, the bus companies and the bus users association.
- We expect our local councillors to take these demands seriously.
- We expect our local councillors to engage with the council officers responsible for our bus service and ensure they take action.
- We expect our local councillors to raise these demands at the appropriate committees.
- We expect our local councillors to respond to us in a timely and supportive manner.
- We expect action including the development of a viable sustainable public transport plan for our area that will deliver our service requirements within three months.
These demands are well within the service levels enjoyed by all similar areas of Brighton and Hove.
These demands are reasonable and have the support of the local community.
These demands provide an opportunity to review and rethink the way our bus service is managed.
These demands provide an opportunity to engage with other bus users such as the University community.
Let’s get the bus service we need and deserve!